Police issue advice following Bedminster burglary
By Hannah2009 | Thursday, January 26, 2012, 16:06
Following the deception burglary carried out at the home of a 97-year-old Bedminster woman, police have issued the following advice to householders.
Police have issued advice following Bedminster burglary
Do not open your door to a stranger
• If you are not expecting anyone, don't answer the door – or if you do, make sure you use a door chain
• If they refuse to leave then call 999
• If you are expecting someone make sure you check their identification. A genuine caller will not mind waiting whilst you check them out.
Look out for your neighbours
• ... Especially someone who is vulnerable
• There are a number of neighbourhood watch schemes you can join and make a difference
Keep all valuables in a safe or secure location
• Take photographs of valuables and keep them securely
• If your valuables have serial numbers they should be recorded on the online free property database www.immobilise.com
Download tracking devices on electrical equipments such as phones, laptops and iPads
• Many applications such as Prey and findmyiphone are free
Burglary is an Avon and Somerset police priority and offences in Bristol are reducing. Since April there has been a 20 per cent reduction in offences.